Friday, April 30, 2010

First Post Eva!

Today is my very first blog post!  I am excited and a little bit nervous to "put it all out there".  I come from a rural area with a very dysfunctional background as a child.  My life could be written as a novel or shared on a talk show.  I've been told often, that I should write a book, LOL.  We shall see.

I have two daughters.  They are the love of my life, my heart, and my saviors.  They gave me strength, taught me how to love, and showed me how to be a better person.  I believe we were given these gifts to teach us something.  There is a reason for everything. 

My husband works six days a week.  He is our sole income and bread winner.  We decided before having kids that when the time came, I would stay home and raise our children.  It's been a hard job, but I am so happy I have been able to watch them grow and experience all of their milestones.  Because my husband is the sole bread winner of our family, we've had to budget quite a bit and let go of some of the big "wants" and "wishes" we would like for ourselves.  We live in a modest home, drive used cars, shop sales, and use coupons regularly.  Of course, having a child with serious heart defects is very taxing on any one's income... especially to families with one income!  It's very stressful and forces you to get your priorities in order.

In my spare time, I currently help a local non-profit group raise money and network online to raise awareness of heart defects.  Triangle Mended Little Hearts meets at Duke Children's Hospital.  Right now, I'm in the process of asking companies and individuals for donated items to sell through Mission Fish on eBay.  I just made a deal with a great local company that makes and sells custom TUTUS, etc. They are going to donate a portion of their proceeds to our group!  I'm so excited!
In the past, I have helped other non-profit groups with vascular anomalies and help line call centers for those needing help for depression or domestic abuse.  If I could, I would love to get paid for my work, but so far, that hasn't panned out.  In the meantime, I will continue to volunteer.  I love to do it!  It gives me a purpose and I'm able to help others.

So, I guess that's about all for my very 1st Blog!  I hope you enjoyed it and come back for more posts.  I'm new to this, so anyone who is an experienced blogger that would like to offer me advice or information on how to start sampling items and making money through blogging... please let me know!  I'm very excited about the opportunities that lie ahead!

3 comments:

  1. Warm welcomes to the world of blogging. Warning: It's highly addictive!!! Lots of love and can't wait to keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to blogland! Like Kristine said, it's addicting! I think it's awesome all of the volunteering you do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both! I hope I can keep up! LOL

    ReplyDelete